View Single Post
      08-15-2018, 03:16 AM   #7
RogerThat
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Need to get the battery charged to >12.0 V, preferably to 12.5V or more, but 12.0V SHOULD crank the starter. You can get a decent battery charger from Harbor Freight Tools for $30:
https://www.harborfreight.com/26-amp...ger-60322.html

11.3 V is NOT enough to engage the starter solenoid, so we can't tell if your Starter is OK or not until you either (1) get the battery charged, or (2) jumpstart your car using jumper cables connected to another vehicle or a charged battery. ONLY USE the Jumpstart Terminals under the hood for jumpstarting; NEVER connect directly to the battery in the rear.

If you get a battery charger, let it charge at either 4 or 6 Amp rate for ~ 3 hours, and then try to start. Measure battery voltage at the Jumpstart Terminals after one or two clicks of the starter solenoid if it FAILS to crank.

If the engine starts, measure system voltage at the Jumpstart Terminals with the engine running. This is to determine if alternator output is sufficient voltage (should be in 13.5V to 14.5V range).

If you get it running, charge the battery at the 2 Amp rate overnight, and then measure voltage 30 minutes or more AFTER disconnecting charger (it will read high until voltage stabilizes after disconnecting charger). Then measure voltage again 8 to 12 hours later (engine off overnight) BEFORE starting in the morning. This is to check for battery health (does it hold a charge) as well as for any parasitic battery drain from some electrical component or circuit drawing current when it should be OFF.

BTW, the "!" in a yellow triangle on the center of your instrument cluster means you have a CC-ID fault code stored in the Instrument Cluster Memory. You can read that code on the instrument cluster by following the "Check Control" procedure using the B/C buttons on turn indicator stalk, found in your Owner's Manual (just look up "Check Control" in the Index). Let us know what that code number is (3 digits), or you can look it up at this site (which also describes procedure to get code):
http://mr-fix.info/bmw-cc-id-codes-f...ning-messages/

George

Okay so I went out and I got a charger for my battery. I tried to jump start the car first and nothing. I charged the battery for around 5 hours or so and nothing and again tested the voltage at the jump start terminal and again only 11.98 V. I also tried pulling up the B/C Menu and nothing would come up anymore at all now ever since I tried to pull up the "Secret Menu" via Odometer button. now instead all I get is a !. there is no triangle or anything just a !.
Appreciate 0