Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
the thing is, in the degrees and programs we hire from, everyone is required to have a certain level of work experience and everyone is required to have an internship just to graduate. the easiest way to differentiate between the dozens of people i meet and receive resumes from at the career fairs is to check GPAs.

of course, if they bomb the interview, a GPA isnt going to help.

I used to be like you and think GPA didnt matter much. "Cs get degrees". Until I started doing the hiring process like this, as does much of my industry for entry level positions.

And if someone has to sacrifice their GPA in order to do things outside of school work, it would signal to me they cant handle the heavy workload and high stress that will be required of them.
Well not everyone hires the same way, and it likely does change by industry due to how schooling is done. We select interns due to interactions on visits and interviews and GPA really doesn't make it's way into the process (we don't see anything below a 3.0 but that is much lower than what we are talking about in here).

We hire solely from our intern classes which checks the work requirement. So for entry level you need good communication and good fit within our company culture to get an internship and you need to prove yourself at the internship for a job. After my first job I personally just didn't even keep including my GPA and never got asked about it.

Maybe I am jaded from my experiences or my field, most of the higher GPA employees I have dealt with have been bad employees while middle of the road (~3.5 GPA) have been some of the better ones that adapt to the work quicker.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0