04-04-2011, 07:35 PM   #20
DJKhan85
Major
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2011 4dr 6mt Golf GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleex024 View Post
you are right that i should look into both before purchasing but already done =). i like the gear type lsd because it should last a lot longer than the clutch lsd and the clutch lsd supposedly is only slightly better than the gear one on the track. plus the gear type is much much more cheaper (pardon the grammar ). But ok you made up my mind...i am definitely going to get the wavetrack since it is almost equal to the quaife and cheaper =).

but i did have a question. how was it that i still slipped so much in my e46 m3 when i had the lsd already built in? guess the summer tires really didnt help =) but still i thought an lsd would help a little more but guess i didnt have a open diff to compare to then.
you bring up a very good point. I will let you in on what I found when driving my car with the LSD for the first time in a parking lot.....when it was raining . The LSD does NOT magically give you more grip. That's more a function of your tires. If you take a turn without the lsd and floor it, not much will happen. Most of the power will spin away on the inside tire but you'd still be going in the same direction. In the same scenario you add the LSD and the back has more of a tendency to step out or slide. This may sound counter intuitive to what we want a LSD to do. The good news is that the rear end will step out in a very predictable way. This will actually help you go around a turn faster but it could bite you in the rear end much easier if you don't get used to it first(as I found out by doing a 360 as I was exiting said parking lot).

I can immediately feel the difference between my buddy's 335 auto with open diff. It just doesn't feel as controllable with the throttle mid turn.
Appreciate 0