View Single Post
      02-21-2015, 05:03 PM   #778
vithy
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 328xi

If you read post #7 on the link, he mentioned something similar, where he reversed the sub polarity during calibration and reverted back post, for his midbass issues. Almost similar to our cars.

Last year or so I have had the underseat set on proper polarity, and I was missing the mid's. I compensated by upping the EQ. But kaigoss's 3 way competently fixed that issue with midbass. And then his trick with reverting the trunk sub for better lo's in front stage.

I have to say, after JL amp upgrade with extra power to the underseats and reversed polarity. I can definitely say it's the best MID's have ever heard in my car (F30). I have listened to HIFI and HK systems in other F30's. I'm quiet happy with it as it is.... I'm also impressed how the base OEM speakers sound with a little bit more power and proper DSP. Imagine with better speakers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidlyboy View Post
Hmm... interesting. Well, as we were discussing, your ears are the best judge. Anyone can throw a bunch of BS around, but your ears will never BS you I guess there's more to this situation. Thats an interesting data point though.

Incidentally, just before my MS-8 came back to me, when i was still undecided if i was going to keep it, i just happened to be googling "jbl ms-8 sucks" and found a thread where some dude was heading out to some car meet where he advertised that he was going to run over his MS-8 with his car and videotape the whole thing. I guess Andy W caught wind of this, and somehow got his contact info and called him up. He offered to replace a bunch of his MS-8 equipment that he thought might be faulty and offered to drive/fly out to his house and spend a day with him for free tuning his system. Long story short, they found that there was something about reversed polarities in his tweeters that was messing up the whole autotune algorithm. When they swapped it, everything came together.

I don't know all what they did, but the fact that reversed polarities had something to do with it means that there is still something inherent in it that the ms-8 auto-tune algorithm can not handle properly. But i know nothing about the particulars of what his system looked like or what his input configuration/xo setup was.
Appreciate 0