Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
Yeah, haven't gotten around to it!

Here's my post from DIYMA:

"HOLY CRAP!!!

So I've had a major breakthrough today with the subwoofer. This time, I cannot take any credit whatsoever. I used a "trick", but it was Andy who suggested it:

For the past year I've run a 2-way front plus sub, and I thought the results were pretty damn good. It was the best the car had ever sounded. I put in an IDMax 15 IB and a new amp and it really helped to clean up the sub stage and get me some great volume when I needed it. Most times though when listening to normal music it would just blend very nicely and only come on strong when called upon.

Last night, I re-read Andy's post above, and since I was in the process of cleaning up the wiring in my trunk, I decided to go ahead and try this. I connected outputs 5 and 6 to the sub amp L & R inputs, and set the MS-8 up for a 3-way front stage, without sub (instead of the traditional 2-way configuration, plus sub). My underseat woofers became FLMid and FRMid (instead of FLLo and FRLo), and FLLo and FRLo became the new outputs to the sub amp (I crossed over at 50Hz 24dB/oct). Ran calibration and put in some tunes. At first, I thought I had screwed something up because I could not hear the sub play whatsoever. I stuck my head between the seats, facing the trunk, and still nothing. It sounded really really good though, loud and clean, but all the bass seemed to be coming from my 10" Morels under the seats. I went to the trunk to turn up the sub amp gain but first I decided to reach through the basket and put my fingers on the back of the cone of the IDMax... Well, slap my ass and call me Sally! The damn sub was playing, hard!

This is unbelievable, for the first time ever the sub has totally disappeared. I am utterly amazed. Had to come up here to report, now back to the car for more listening! Thanks a bunch Andy! "
When you did this did you have any crossovers on your amps on? E.g. Lo pass filters on the underseat and trunk sub channels? Do you have a link to the relevant posts on DIYMA? Thanks.
Appreciate 0