MacE90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Chevrolegs

Garage List
2011 335i xdrive  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I'd bet the corner of the cylinder head, where the "3rd" bolt attaches the OFH to the head is cracked off. Also, if you've not already stuffed something in the openings in the head where the OFH mates up, the engine has contamination in it, which makes the engine a lump of metal at this point. The most valuable parts are the drivetrain, of which you probably can't sell the engine.

I'd take the cash and find a replacement vehicle. Unless you have covered storage to dismantle the car and the ability to store/ship parts, seems like a PIA to rake in a few extra hundred dollars above the $1,800 to buy it back. Then you'll have to get rid of the carcass once the parts are salvaged. Salvage yards make money at salvage because they have the heavy equipment to move non-rolling cars once the drivetrain is pulled and the wheels are off.

My 2 cents.
I do have covered storage for parts and disassembly, I did not have the chance to block off any openings in the motor. That said, my plan would be to keep the motor and trans to swap in to something older I would take the head off and clean everything. Would contamination or oxidation at this point make cleaning pointless?
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17313.50