MacE90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Chevrolegs

Garage List
2011 335i xdrive  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
If water gets in the block via the OFH orifices and the cracked valve cover, parts will rust quickly. If you are basically buying the engine and trans for yourself then maybe it's a different story if you can store the engine in a clean dry place. You talked about dropping the engine into a 1980's era chassis, which is a daunting task. Hassmachine is putting an N52 into his E30, and I'm not sure he's finished yet. Hass knows what he is doing too. There is a shop in PA that has dropped an N52 into an E36 318i. It requires custom engine wiring harnesses, etc. The ECU needs data inputs those older cars may not have sensors for. Doable, but not easy. But It'd be a cool car.
I am buying the motor and trans, and electrical for myself. The hood was tied down and the weather has been nice and dry with low relative humidity at night. The car will be stored inside through the summer and winter if needed.
The bolt on the OFH is sheered off.

With regards to swapping, I can do the wiring and my buddy is a fabricator. While it was my only one, I did swap a 3.5l from a late 80s E24 in to my E12. I had to make a new harness though no fabrication was needed.

I appreciate your and everyone's comments. The 'sounding board' that is this forum is priceless! Here are two more pictures of engine exposure. I put rags in the exposures and covered with plastic today. I'll make my final decision in the morning and pick it up with my trailer or go pull off my plates!

Keep the comments and opinions flowing please!!
Attached Images