View Single Post
      10-26-2015, 05:12 PM   #378
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverman View Post
First, Consumer Reports shows less problems with the NA E9x than forced induction and its been that way for years. Second, the N54 had lots of HPFP problems that left lots of people stranded. Third, turbo engines are generally more complicated that NA engines. Fourth, turbo engines generate a lot more heat.

I'm not saying it isn't worth it. N54/N55 performance is much better. My car has a lot more problems than most Japanese cars. And it's costing more than twice as much per year as my wife's Honda. But it's worth it to me.
First consumer reports is good for one thing. Papering the bottom of bird cages. Always has been. They only look at frequency of repairs, what system. Not why and what manufacturer has done to correct the siuation or how expensive or serious it is. Their more frequent problems stem from two things covered by warranty. Waste gates and hpfp, both of which were reengineered to be just as good as the rest of the car.

Second, nobody, none was stranded by the old hpfp. You hot limp mode. I know. I had 5 before I got the redesigned one.

Third And? Complicated doesn't mean less reliable. Not much different from a 328 except you get the turbo and oil cooler and hpfp. Are you implying a simple 1980 Chevy 350 which is less complicated is more reliable?

Forth the heat is controlled by these two things called a radiator and an oil cooler. At running temp it's the same.

As far as cost or problems I'm at 223,000 and haven't had any best described forementioned warranty stuff.

Last edited by Fundguy1; 10-26-2015 at 05:19 PM..
Appreciate 0