09-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #152
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
If you do agree with the US being hypocritical, then surely they can't be going in Syria for moral reasons? Logic states that, due to them using chemical weapons themselves in the past, this act does not violate their morals (because obviously if it did go against their morals they would not have used chemical weapons themselves). Therefore it is illogical that another country using chemical weapons would violate the US' moral standards, apart from two exceptions:

1) The US believe they, and allies such as the UK and Israel, are far more superior to other countries and therefore have the moral right to use chemical weapons.

2) The US have suddenly changed their moral standards and have decided that the use of chemical weapons is immoral.

I'm inclined to go with number one. Or, if morality isn't the reason, then it's another unknown reason.

Specifically regarding your two options above:

I don't think there is any doubt that the US and UK as countries and governments are superior to any number of other countries, not the least of which is Syria. I don't know enough about Israel to say whether they are superior. I don't see the connection between that superiority and having a moral right to use chemical weapons.

Even granting your first option, the wrongs one nation/person may have committed in the past do not provide justification for another to do so now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0