View Single Post
      07-09-2020, 12:21 AM   #6
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by esg View Post
1) Yes, Crank no fire before replacing CPS.
2) Build date is 04/07
3) I have access to INPA, ISTA and BimmerGeeks ProTool...
4) Where do I grab the Freeze Frame data information from?
5) Haven't checked them yet, I'll check them and make sure they're good. [F4 & F51]
Since you indicate you have INPA, I would suggest finding a time when you have at least an hour, or even two hours, where you can assimilate the information below and experiment with the INPA Screens described below, to get a working understanding/ CONCEPT of WHAT INPA can do, and HOW you can use it, in addition to "harvesting"/Saving the screens described so that you can attach them here, and we can ALL learn something together.

1) Using INPA, Freeze Frame Data is on same screen as Fault Code Definition, and you need to connect to the specific Module, DME or CAS, to read those Codes, select F4 Fault Memory with Freeze Frame Data Screen (for DME), and SAVE those screens so you can attach them here. As a FIRST Step, I would suggest doing that, and I'll walk you through the procedure below.

2) Using INPA, you can also view "F5 Status" Screens when connected to the CAS Module which show if certain Relays or "Terminals" are activating as they should when you (1) put the Remote Key in the Insert Compartment; when you (2) Press START button, WITHOUT pressing Brake or Clutch, just turning Ignition ON; when you (3) Press START button again with foot on Brake/Clutch Pedal

3) Using INPA, you can also view "F5 Status" Screen when connected to the DME Module which will show if "Terminal 87", the DME Main Relay, is being activated when you turn Ignition on.

The Status Screens show INPUTS to the CAS & DME Modules, as received by those Modules from Sensors or Voltage measurements, and indicate if everything is "Powering-Up" properly. Any time the Starter does NOT crank the engine, OR you have a "Crank but No Start" issue as here, determining what is NOT powered should be the first step.

I. INPA F4 Fault Memory; Fault Definitions & Freeze Frame Data:

A) to read Fault Memory with Freeze Frame Data in DME:

1) At INPA opening Sript Selection Screen (after selecting "E90") scroll down to "Engine" in Left Listbox, press Tab to navigate to Right-hand Listbox, and scroll down to "MSV80 for N52KP" which is the Variant of DME or Engine Control Module in your late 2007 328i; press Enter
2) The Main Menu (Hauptmenu) should appear; press < F4 > Read Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher lesen)
3) Fault Memory Main Menu (Fehlerspeicher Hauptmenu) MSV80 should appear; press < F1 > Read Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher lesen) [as opposed to Infospeicher or Historyspeicher memory]
4) Fault Memory Issues (Fehlerspeicher Ausgaben) Menu should appear; press Fault Memory with Freeze Frame Data (Fehlerspeicher mit freeze frame Daten)
5) View & SAVE the entire INPA Screen for EACH Fault Code in DME Memory; Scroll Up/Down or PgUp/PgDn as needed to view & SAVE all info for each Fault Code. Basically: use Shft+SrtSc to save screen to working memory, open Windows Paint (Windows Accessory Photo Editor) and "Ctrl+V" paste the INPA Screen to Paint; SaveAs a jpg file in Folder YOU create for future reference. If NOT familiar with that process, see step-by-step in attached "INPA Tutorial Quickstart" pdf, which also has sample screens found in "Functional Jobs" INPA function.

B. To Read Fault Code Definitions & Details in CAS:

1) In Script Selection Dialog Box, Scroll down to Body/Karosserie in Left Listbox, Press Tab key to Navigate to Right Listbox, Scroll down to "Car Access System" in Right Listbox and press Enter
2) The CAS Main Menu (Hauptmenu) should appear; press F4 Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher)
3) The Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher) Menu should appear; press < F1 > Read Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher lesen)
4) Fault Memory with Definition & Details should appear; view & SAVE ALL screens showing Fault Details as you did in DME fault memory above.

II. INPA F5 Status Screens, Connected to CAS:
There is a single CAS Screen: CAS > F5 > F2 > F1 Diagnose Terminals which you want to view, and it looks like the First Screen attached below. The attached screen is what yours SHOULD look like during Starter cranking if everything was properly-powered. You want to View and SAVE that screen under 3 different conditions: (i) Remote Key NOT inserted in Insert Compartment; (ii) Remote Key inserted and Ignition ON (START button pressed & released WITHOUT pressing Brake/Clutch); (iii) Starter Cranking: START button pressed while pressing Brake/ Clutch; "Terminal 50" bar graph should "fill" and voltage ~ 10V should appear, but ONLY briefly during cranking.

1) Connect to CAS Module as in "I.B." above
2) At CAS Main Menu, select < F5 > Status
3) At Status Menu, select < F2 > Status Analog
4) At Status Analog Menu, select < F1 > Dianose Terminals (Klemmen) [Clamps in some incorrect translations ;-)
5) Note which bar graphs fill/show voltage values under various conditions. You can't hurt anything -- you're just observing inputs to the DME at those various conditions. Particularly Note Terminal 50 which is Starter Activation Terminal which should be powered ONLY during Starter Cranking. Notice ALSO the various KL (Terminal) designations such as KL30 (battery power), KL15 (Ignition), KL30G (Accessory Relay on JB)
6) Save the Screens under the 3 conditions identified above and post here.

NOTE: if you use Paint to "Resize" saved INPA screens to 50% (Maintain Aspect Ratio) before you post here, it will NOT blow the margins of the text.

III. INPA F5 Status Screen, Connected to DME:
Similar to the CAS Terminal Diagnosis Screen, there are INPA Screens you can view when connected to the DME to determine if the DME Main Relay, or "Terminal 87" is being activated (the Starter will Crank, BUT engine will NOT fire if KL87 isn't powered). Two different Screens from my late 2007 328xi are attached.

The path to view 2nd attached screen below is: DME > F5 Status > F2 Analog Values > F1 Analog Measure Values Group 1. The bar graph at the top-left is Terminal 87 Voltage (Kl.87 Spannung)/ Voltage Supply to DME (DME Main Relay). That voltage SHOULD be 12.0+ Volts at ALL TIMES the Ignition is ON.

The 3rd attached screen below not only Displays the voltage value at the DME Main Relay (Terminal 87), but it also allows you to test Activation of that relay by over-riding DME control of the Main Relay (Yes the DME "turns itself on" ;-) The "path" or menu sequence to view that "Activation" screen is: DME > F6 Activations > F2 > F1 Activate Terminal 87/ DME Main Relay. When Relay is "Active"/ON, the circle is filled/ darkened, and the voltage value is system voltage.

Here are the TIS wiring diagrams for the DME Main Relay and also Fuse F78 so you can get an idea of how lack of power at Terminal 87 would prevent DME Function, including NO power to Camshaft Sensors via F78:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...-fault/xGCYTPF
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...200703/vHZidvZ

Please let us know how those tests go, and if any questions, I'll try to clarify.

George
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf INPA Tutorial Quickstart.pdf (682.2 KB, 36 views)
Appreciate 1