View Single Post
      12-10-2017, 12:49 PM   #699
dakoo12
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335xi F30 Sport

Update.

I have now changed the spark plugs and transmission fluid and filter. Car is shifting soooooooo smooth now and I'm glad I did it. My transmission oil definitely needed to be changed as it was extremely dirty. Considering the mileage on it, there weren't any major signs of metal flakes or debris. Just the regular sludge and not really that bad of a burnt smell. If I was to do it all over again I wouldn't change the O-ring/pressure ring that came with the transmission filter kit. You actually have to break off the old one and risk damaging the walls where the filter/strainer slides up into. And it was a pain in the ass to take out.

On a side note, I spilled a lot of transmission fluid using a transfer pump and was worried I would run out. I called BMW as I was using OEM Dexron VI fluid to get more. My goodness they wanted $26 a liter or $96 for a gallon jug. Even worse no one in the lower mainland had any in stock. I continued with my change and luckily I had enough. I got my transmission oil from ecstuning.com with free shipping and picked it up across the border. For 7 liters I paid $86 including tax. I wanted to keep the oil as OEM as possible considering the torque converter holds a significant amount of oil. Didn't want to mix and mess around with viscosity, additives etc. Transmissions are too much $$$$ to cheap out on the fluid.

Next up I really want to get the differential oil changed and topped up. I cracked the drain/fill plug and nothing came out, so I know its low. My rear diff has the infamous whirring/whinning noise and I'm hoping this will shut it up a little. Should be an easy change but I wasn't able to get any of the old oil out because of the transfer pump I have. The hose on it is too thick to reach the bottom of the pumpkin. I'm just going to get an indy shop to do it when I get my oil change done. I'll just provide them with the diff oil and hopefully they have a better transfer pump to get all the old oil.

2007 323i (e90) RIP
Appreciate 1