View Single Post
      03-18-2012, 10:56 AM   #43
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowbow View Post
Interesting data. Have you checked out any of the E9x race cars to see what sorts of aero setups they have? Although many of them may be limited due to class rules and regulations, it might be worth taking a look and checking out specific setups BMW race teams have done.

Do cars see a lot of turbulence around the wheel area? Maybe that "V" can extend towards front of the rear wheels to push that turbulent air out from under the chassis - although I wonder what effect that has when it just "comes out" from the side. I'd suspect some turbulence rather than just having it shoot out the rear where you have the diffuser that can more effectively direct the flow.

Cool project, definitely one of a kind and will follow this just for curiosity's sake.
Of course I've done a ton of research on full body racecars the benefit the m3s have (as described in the first post) is that they can be completely sealed, because the engine does not need the additional cooling benefits. (plus, the alms cars have sealed tunnels that take the air from the kidney grills, through the radiator then through the interior of the car then out the back. Pretty nuts.

I think you might be confusing Turbulence with high pressure. The reason I would "like" to fence off the exhaust tunnel is primarily to promote the uninfluenced air speed on the sides of the tunnel, and the smaller reason is to not let that that turbulence effect anything outside of the tunnel. The tunnel doesn't really create significant turbulence (and turbulence is normally the 2nd priority anyways) rather it is the expanding area and the flow separation that might be introduced, which would slow down the air under the car. Regarding turbulence vs high pressure- directing the air out the side of the car- that wouldn't really make sense, as it is a low pressure area compared to high pressure outside. In all reality though- the data is showing things are working incredibly well. I definitely don't NEED to change anything at this point

The wheelwell area (on the side of the car) is a high pressure zone, which is very undesirable. There are a couple ways to fix that- fender Vents and canards. I might go try canards for fun, but essentially the high pressure from the wheelwells is just something I have to deal with, since there is not a simple, practical way to remedy it.

Last edited by BrianMN; 03-18-2012 at 11:13 AM..
Appreciate 0