makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
What is DDE and EWS and why do they need reset
I imagine its something to do with Engine management?
ctuna, see the partial response down below by seanblee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblee View Post
EWS is the immobiliser system and DDE is the engine management system. Afraid I can't answer how they get out of sync just by doing an IBS battery registration...
Basically, the immobiliser lost its settings and it did not allow the engine to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistryn View Post
I have no idea how I managed to do this, I was in the section where it said along the lines of IBS battery reigster, pressed the F key to go into it and must have pressed another key to reigsiter it - a window box came up and it being in german language I did not know what it meant so cleicked on the x in the corner.
Why it happened?
Many reasons mate, and it can happen randomly by playing with DME. Some says that it can happen when you reset the battery / play with the immobiliser. In your case, reseting IBS may have triggered it.

Worst part is that, I have seen a case where one of the dealer suggested the client to change the immobiliser and keys. And you can guess the rest of the story. Car was out of the warranty and poor fellow had to bend over.... and paid the bill in the excess of ....

Well, I'll leave it to you guys to guess the amount of that bill.

Equally, I have heard of another dealer who charged only 1 hour labour charges to reset this.

I'm glad that it helped mistryn and thanks to all of you for the appreciation