View Single Post
      01-17-2019, 11:48 AM   #337
nicklockard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 w/Nav; paddleshifters

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
Nick - you wrote of wrapping DP last year in February. I was hoping you would come back and tell us if the wrap helped with the cat's ability to scrub smell better or not. Thanks
Yes, in my admittedly subjective opinion it reduces smell by about 33% to 50% depending on outside temperatures and how warm the engine was (cold start or warm start, etc.) However a re-tune reduced smell even further. With an improved tune and wrap, smell is almost a non-issue. My wife asks 'what's that smell", but I just told her that's what diesels smell like so get used to it, lol.

The downside is that vibrations, wind, and little driveway scrapes (my car was lowered from previous owner with coil over kit) makes it unravel past the cat. So now it's only wrapped to the end of the cat (before I had it extend back, which made the sound really cool). Oh, I forgot to mention that I think the wrap improves the quality and nature of the exhaust sounds--i hear more turbo whistling, little barking noises on down shifts, and a more 'rumbly' and 'burbly' low rpm noise. Hard to describe, but subjectively nicer in my opinion.

Money permitting, I think I'd rather have ceramic coating on turbine housings, exhaust header and down pipe past the oxidation catalyst for a cleaner look and improved performance, plus smell reduction. I think it can be had for around $650. Keeping my eyes open for a good deal...

Mods: *ATM 304SS Turbo-back exhaust, w/ ox-cat *ATM stepped intercooler *ATM silicone tubing kits (hot & cold sides) JR 2.8 tune *Whitbread CP3R90 HPFP *AArod EGR racepipe*Execuhitch hidden hitch *Stage 3 transmission tune
Appreciate 2