View Single Post
      03-09-2019, 01:38 PM   #351
14.4volts
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M, 2006 X5, '96 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik325tds View Post
Hello 14.4volts and welcome to this forum!
Looks like you read the whole thread which has gotten kind of long now...
Consensus on the waste gate porting is that it isn't needed anymore. For tuning there are several options and you'll need to do some research to find which one will fit your wants. With my 335d, I'm on the JR 2.8 tune which is I believe the least smokiest out there while delivering very good power and torque. If you don't care about smoke there may be more power to be had. On my X5d I'm on the Stage 2 with only EGR delete but a friend of mine went with the full delete from ATM.
I'd definitely recommend going with a catted downpipe as without it the smell is pretty bad on a traffic light.Ceramic Coating should enhance keeping the DOC warm and working.
Be aware though, this thread describes the 335d - deleting the X5 35d is quite a bit more work and more difficult. But with your experience that should be no problem.
Hey man, thanks for the reply!
Far as difficulty is concerned, I am not too woried.
The former shop that worked on this before I had it broke the ccv tube by striping the nut on the support bracket the intake tube bolts to, it had no support and broke off at the very end where the plastic flex pipe would snap too it.
A $.95 cents 1/2” copper pluming coupler and some epoxy was the quick fix to get it drivable, that said its all coming off to be replace.. wich means new Valve cover. 😔 Also... there appears to be some oil leaks, some probably from the valve cover, hoping most was from the engine just venting muck from the valve cover directly into the engine compartment. Funny when I was looking to buy it I didn’t know any of the issues, driving it with my buddy. I am looking around the cabin and saying “dude, is it smokey in here or are my contacts messed up” smells like oil in here.. 😆
The hvac was on fresh air, it was just dumping it right into the cabin... kinda funny. At any rate, the whole top half is coming off, the bumper is coming off either for repair or replacment. Its got a nice scuff on the front corner and lots of dings from living in the city.
Havent decided on turbo yet, inspect, rebuild, replace or nothing at all. Whats the life span on these? Anyone upgrading impeller/compressor wheel?
Far as smell, I would love to midigate that as much as possible but I don’t want to use DEF any more and I would like to remove as much carbon adding components and emissions maintenance componets as possible.
If I can go catless and find a solution to decrease the smell as much as possible, it would be my preferred option... wish I could smell one de-cat’d to make that decision... from reading here seems to be pretty obnoxious to some and not an issue for others, I dont know if there would be much of a difference between the X and 3?
High flow cat, possible.. conflicted on different exhuast styles and smell and also if I go water/meth how much disadvantage I’d have with a cat?
I’d like to use the DEF tank(s) for water/meth if I get that far... haven't made that decision yet either, but for sure dont want to use DEF EVER again! 😊

As it sits this is the list of mods I know for sure I’ll be doing.
EGR delete
Swirl Flap delete
DPF delete
Vacuum lines
Harmonic balancer
Glow plugs and controller.
Valve cover
CBU cleaning
Exhaust, this is another one that will take consideration, lots of options...
Intercooler, upgrade? Hoses for sure.
Engine mounts while I am in there.
Miscellaneous shit BMW plastics upgrades? Insight here, intake and other stuff?
Possible injectors? These have any similar issues to the N63? Upgrades?
Fuel filter
Possible intake mods.. I want reliable though and I live in a wet environment.

On the fence mods
Water/meth
Turbo upgrade
High flow cat vs straight
Type of tune vs lifespan and reliability.
Fuel pump upgrade, or just do it for the sake of getting it done.. 135k miles.
Pulling the head, walnut blasting, re-work and cam upgrade. Any issues with the guides, valve slop etc.. my experience with BMW engines burning oil is.. almost all of them! 😂
If I pull the head I’ll just spend the money to make it right, that said I really dont want to add that time or expenses atm, however if I can find enough convincing data to outweigh my laziness and hate for doing heads.. I will!
I’ll be halfway there anyway.

Not sure what I am missing here, again I am a baby when it comes to BMW diesel knowledge so I am trying to absorb as much info as I possibly can.

I do know I am excited to build/mod something that doesn’t have the big fat
M-tax attached to it! 😂

Any coding options besides “ready status” anyone has found useful or necessary?
Anyone here used the DEF tanks for water/meth, any comments on that would be super appreciated!
Also, anything that is a must do or any advice is always welcome!
Thanks again, really getting excited for this build!!!
Appreciate 0