E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatcarry
E90Fleet.
I know you speak from your experiences that 0w-40 is the only BMW approved oil. Maybe your experiences are limited to other parts of the world. On this issue you are incorrect.

In the USA manual it specifically states that Mobil 1 5w-30 is HIGHLY RECOMMENED BY BMW. Obviously Mobil 1 5w-30 is acceptable in the USA.

Also call BMW NA yourself. They will pull it up on the computer and say that you can use any name brand fully synthetic 5w-30 oil. They recommended to me Valvoline, Mobil 1, or Castrol.

I'm using Mobil 1 5w-30 for my intermediate oil changes. I'm following the owners manual and BMW NA's recommendations. How could this be wrong? I trust Mobil 1 products and they are easy for me to get. The nearest place I can buy BMW oil is over 200 miles away.

Where in the manual does it state "Mobil 1" ??
I have both E90 and E92 USA manuals and they do not state Mobil 1 anywhere, nor do the european manuals

The info for the 0W-40 comes from the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA model E90 and E92 approved oil list

You can read on the mobil 1 site yourself that only the 0W-40 has BMW approval stated on it

I dont need to call BMW NA, I have many technical contacts there, some of which provided me with the oil lists for USA models.

Im willing to bet the only info the "helpline" people can give you on oil is what you can use to "top up" the oil, not what is approved for full services

You can use any oil you want, but im just informing other people reading this that currently in the USA the only Mobil 1 with BMW approval is the 0W-40 one

ONLY the european "5W-30 Mobil 1 ESP" is an approved mobil 5W-30