View Single Post
      01-29-2015, 05:59 AM   #69
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
That's a strange British hang up about not "owning" your car.

Fair enough if you're talking about a garage queen that you're keeping for years. But a daily driver for 2/3/4 years? What difference does it make if it's cash buy or PCP or PCH or Lease or HP whatever?

As long as it's exclusively yours to use as you wish, then in the end it's all down to £ per month x No. of months, that's all. A holiday rental might get some abuse cos it's going back in a few days, but 2/3/4 year lease car you wouldn't abuse as you'd lessen the ownership pleasure, just as you would if it was your "own" car. Although calling it "ownership" when it's actually secured on finance is a weak link.

I did think I'd look after the Merc less, but I clean it and look after it just as much as previous "owned" cars because I want it to be nice for me to use for the remainder of the "rental".
Maybe it's just me. But if i knew i was owning a car for 2 years and was able to hand it back without worrying about the condition of the engine and hidden components, I'd be honestly less inclined to warm up the gearbox and engine oil temps before giving it beans. I'd probably care less as i'd be handing it back.

I own my cars outright and i treat them to regular (more than prescribed) oil, filter, gearbox oil changes. I wouldn't do the same with a lease car. And if the oil temps got high, would i change the oil. Not in the lease car.

Put it this way. I won't be buying a 2nd hand 2 year old Golf R in a few years time. They'll have been ragged pretty hard i'd imagine in the most part.

But maybe i'm just talking about me.
Appreciate 0