View Single Post
      01-30-2009, 07:17 PM   #336
BMWFanboy
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by trauma2020 View Post
-edit: just thought of another question. I read this whole thread and a lot of the discussion was on rev matching on downshifts.... If you were slowing down to take a turn on a normal city street you wouldn't need to rev match do you? Because you are braking as you clutch in and select the lower gear, so by the time you let the clutch out you should be down to an appropriate speed for that gear at the rpms you were already going right?
I've only been driving stick for 6 months now, but I've read a ton of stuff online. Unfortunately this thread seems to have died down, much to my dismay. As far as turns, it depends on the turn. For some turns you will slow down so much that you don't need to rev match, but for other turns you do have to rev match. Also, you should have the appropriate gear selected and the clutch engaged before you get into the turn. Heel and toe downshifts are really helpful for turns, but I am still trying to learn how to do them.

For a really good source of information, check out Standard Shift. There are a ton of good things to read there and people are very willing to help you.
Appreciate 0