08-27-2007, 09:43 PM   #36
100mph
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335is Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwtsn32 View Post
Ok, I just tried plugging in a 160GB WD Passport and it seems to take too long to spin up....like the USB port is not quite providing enough power. I hear it trying to spin up over and over for maybe 15 - 30 seconds. Finally the drive does spin up, but the car does not "see" it (the USB option remains grayed out). I'm guessing the car gives up before the drive actually finishes spinning up.

I will try again later when I actually have the engine running, but I doubt that matters.
drwtsn32, what's the blue light doing?

First time I hooked mine up to the pc it did something similar but turned out the cable wasn't seated properly - the blue light was going on and off, on and off till I popped it in properly.

One other time in the car I started it up and when the radio came on I plugged in the hdd and nothing, no lights on and no 6FL. I tried unplugging it and back in, nothing. I had to shut the car off and start over to finally correct it - no idea why though.

Of course I'm sure you've tested it on a PC? Maybe just a bad unit.

Did you format it yet? I can't see it but perhaps if 6FL somehow is controlling the spin up and doesn't like what it see's it shuts it down and tries again??

Let us know what happens - I'm sure USCTrojan4Life is worried if he already ordered his LOL.

btw - Costco up here in Canada had the best deal for the 160GB - $120
Appreciate 0