View Single Post
      05-24-2009, 06:55 AM   #22
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by beef1020 View Post
How did you change the diff oil, as I understand it they do not have a drain bolt? I have heard about possible sucking out the fluid but have not seen any details and would be interested in your procedure.
Beef1020, sorry, I just saw your question this morning. The procedure is to remove the fill plug and suck the fluid out. To suck the fluid out, the cheap way is to get an automotive grade oil syringe that can pull the fluid out of the diff (it will take a long time and probably leave some old oil in the dif). Or you can get one of the hand-pump (Mity-Vac brand) oil extractors that meant to extract oil out of the dipstick tube on engines and pull brake fluid through the brake lines when flushing brakes.

I use a pneumatic powered oil evacuator I got from Harbor Freight. It comes with several lengths and diameter plastic tubes and brass straight tubes. I modded one of the brass pickup tubes to get all the oil out. I cut the tube to about 6 inches then bent it 90 degrees so it slides in the fill hole and sits at the bottom of the diff housing.

Pull all the oil fluid out then refill with new diff fluid till it dribbles out of the hole. Then re-install the fill plug.

Last edited by ENINTY; 05-24-2009 at 07:14 AM..
Appreciate 0