View Single Post
      02-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 1/18 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3

Garage List
N55 ETS Chargepipe Install + Review

After a friend of mine had tuned his car, his charge pipe blew off. I knew it would only be a matter of time before something similar happened to me. As most of you know already our stock charge pipe has a seal that can come undone under higher boost pressure. I didn’t want to deal with it breaking during acceleration so I decided to do just buy an aftermarket charge pipe to make sure my stock one wouldn’t blow off.

I spent quite a bit of time researching which charge pipe to go with. I decided to go with ETS due to the high quality products they provide such as having one of the only no cutting required intercoolers on the market and the outstanding customer service that Michael provides. Michael answered all of my questions extremely fast through both AIM & Email. He was able to customize the charge pipe to my liking instantly as well. I told him I wanted one meth bung since I plan on running meth in the future and I wanted it to be black so I could have a stealth look to my car in case I ever got pulled over and asked to pop my hood since my car has a straight pipe and it is pretty loud.

Everything arrived extremely well packaged(I already unwrapped most of it from the box):

IMG_0619 by baldadar, on Flickr

Starting with removal of the airbox:

IMG_0623 by baldadar, on Flickr

IMG_0626 by baldadar, on Flickr

Stock Charge Pipe Removed:

IMG_0630 by baldadar, on Flickr

ETS Charge Pipe with the Silicone Adapters Put On:

IMG_0632 by baldadar, on Flickr

IMG_0633 by baldadar, on Flickr

Final Installed Pics:

IMG_0634 by baldadar, on Flickr

IMG_0635 by baldadar, on Flickr

Review:

My main reason for purchasing the Charge Pipe was to have a meth bung in place for when I decide to do the JB4 BMS WW Integrated Meth kit and having peace of mind that my charge pipe won’t blow off under high acceleration like others have had happen to them.

The quality and workmanship of the ETS was great. The meth bung welds look extremely top notch and the silicone adapters are also very durable. The install itself was a breeze took about 20-30minutes without any kind of problems or complications. The fitment was 100%. Danny at Minicorsa in North Hollywood, CA did the install for me and didn’t charge me an arm and a leg for it. I will be going back to him for all of my performance installs since I do not have my own garage. He actually owns a 1M and is extremely knowledgeable about our E82 platform so he is able to install and recommend anything you may need from suspension to power.

After having it put on I definitely felt a difference. Not a horsepower difference but the car just felt much more responsive kind of how it felt after I went straight pipe from a regular muffler. I can also hear the turbo spool louder. All in all it was a great purchase and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I also was able to track test it this weekend. I knew that it would either fail on me miserably or it would go off without a hitch because this track is both extremely technical and a high speed track. I’m happy to announce that the charge pipe held up like a champ and none of the silicone hoses or T-Bolt clamps caused any issues. This was also more intensive than a regular track day as well because it was a higher priced one which meant fewer cars and much more track time so I really put the charge pipe and its connectors through the paces.

Appreciate 0