SCS55
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90,F30, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas1097 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCS55 View Post
I'm new to this engine (daughters car) and noticed even after replacing the engine mounts last week it still has a shake and chug to it. It does this mainly on cold starts and I've seen/felt it to a lesser degree when warm.
To the seasoned N52 folks, do they all shake a little on startup? My old 330ci was shake free, as well as our 335i (N55)

Maintenance completed that I thought would assist a smooth start up...
Both Vanos solenoids (Genuine BMW)
Spark plugs
Air filter
Intake boots up to the throttle body
MAF (Genuine BMW)
Almost everything else has been refreshed including the big task items
OFHG
OPG
Belts
Pulleys
Tensionor
full cooling refresh (water pump, T stat,radiator etc)

I'm unfamiliar with the whole eccentric shaft thing, and I'm guessing that's where I'll be directed. That looks like it's something to be tackled during a VCG job which apparently has been done from the previous owner.

No codes are being thrown, and the Short and Long term fuel trims are spot on.
Thanks in advance.
This is most likely a timing issue with your VANOS unit itself. It may need to be replaced. If it's a rough idle on cold start and goes away when the engine reaches temperature then it's definitely the VANOS unit. Happened to my N51, they're basically the same engine. Thank god for that SULEV warranty or it would have costed me a good $5-6k to repair according to the dealer.
Wasn't the Vanos at all. Both new Genuine BMW intake and exhaust solenoids at $140.00 each (ouch!) took care of that.
It was a worn diaphragm/spring in the VC built in CCV. Swapped the VC and also replaced the rear crankcase vent hose which connects to the rear VC.
Buttery smooth now on any start condition cold or hot.
Appreciate 1