View Single Post
      09-15-2019, 07:20 PM   #1
328iDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i (e90)

my car starts sometimes

Hey all,

I am trying to identify the problem with my 2009 328i Sedan and I am somewhat confuse. So here is the story...
The car was on its second battery one day without and error codes or battery warnings, it wouldn't start on my driveway... No dash lights, no crank or noises of any kind, no locking/unlocking, completely dead. I tried jumping it from the engine bay with no success and also no sings of life (lights or noise etc)...this was weird!

I wasn't able to open the trunk so I couldn't get to the battery. (thanks BMW )

Later I tried one of those battery charging gadgets which gave me no reading on the battery, but after being connected for 48 hours it did allowed me to open the trunk, and without diagnosing it further I went to the dealer and bought a new battery of the same Ah/A. Installed the new battery as I have done before and the car started with no problems at all, and all seemed fine electronically, etc. No error codes, all good...

A few days of driving and again the car went dead, all symptoms exactly like first time, except this time I was at a store's parking lot. For a couple of days I tried all of the above with no success and I finally called the tow truck (didn't want the police towing it).

Tow truck wasn't a flatbed, so the guy had to lift the car from the rear. Tow brings it back to my driveway and leaves, to my surprise, I pressed the fob button and the car unlocked normally!!! then I try to start the car and it DOES start... everything seems to be in order, I let it run about 20 minutes and turn it off. I drove it a couple of times around town and on the third day the car is dead on my driveway again!

By the symptoms described above I don't see how it could be some of the more common things I found in this forum like the IBS, Alternator, Starter and/or Battery, can anyone think of what the problem could be?

Thanks

SP: here's some more details about the car
  • e90
  • sedan
  • auto
  • 40K miles
  • no accidents
  • premium pkg
  • sport pkg

Last edited by 328iDriver; 09-15-2019 at 07:34 PM..
Appreciate 0