View Single Post
      05-21-2020, 12:27 PM   #76
eljay
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M + E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
There are a few different designations for springs. The first letter stands for the sport/non sport. C = non sport. D = sport. There are others like for example the rear springs on my wagon were X4, but for the most part you will see C and D. Then the number stands for the weight load of the car it was designed for. A lightweight 328i rwd with sport will likely have D5/D4 front/rear. A 335i coupe/Sedan with sport will have D7/D6 F/R. 335i convertible sport D7/D8 F/R. 335d sport D8/D7.

I picked D8 for the rear because the rear of the wagon is more akin to the convertible weight distribution and given I installed subframe bushing inserts I knew it could handle more spring without turning into a pogo stick.

The front I probably could have gone D7, but I found a pair of cheap D8 and thought it prolly wouldn’t make a huge difference plus more spring at this OE level is better. Plus, maybe it would allow me to get rid of my from M3 sway bar and go back to my stocker. Benefit there is better ride quality and mechanical grip while still getting the spring rate I want.

For shocks I’m still up in the air. Koni yellow best, then prolly b4 sport. The B4 sports with new hardware is a pretty killer deal at prolly $750 all in price point. For a new OE ride of your height/spring rate pretty hard to beat.

All this being said I recently learned Ohlins R&T could MAYBE get me the ride height I want, so now I’m kind of at a fork in the road. Spend $1k more or argh...

Anyway, for your springs just let eBay be your guide “e90 sport OE springs D7” etc.

Example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/06-11-BMW-E...oAAOSwIuNehla6

For the wagon I wouldn’t go below D6/7 for the rear bc of the weight, otherwise your drop might be more significant. Above is about what I paid for each front/rear pair. Just be sure to scope the pics and make sure the protective coating is still on them. I don’t need to tell you about the rust :-)

Those 18s look super sharp on your dark wagon!
Thank you. Great info!
FYI, the B4 Sport shock set can be had via Rock Auto for under US$300. I hope I can find a set of sport springs to go with them.
Appreciate 0