06-07-2015, 06:23 AM   #217
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivojoe View Post
So I read through this entire post and didn't see this mentioned, so I'll ask. There is a large wealth of knowledge here and I am sure someone can provide some insight.

I read somewhere that one thing to be very concerned with on our engines is the tendency for the oil to foam up, and there are some oils designed to avoid this. I believe what I read said that this can wreak havoc on the VANOS system if the oil does foam up, and cause VANOS failures and premature oil breakdown.
Just use an oil that meets BMW's specifications (LL-01 in the US) and you'll be fine; it's really no more difficult to understand than that. It goes for any manufacturer, just use an oil that meets the manufacturer's specification. That's why they publish specifications...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0