View Single Post
      07-06-2009, 10:08 PM   #66
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtsx07 View Post
This morning I was driving in "D" mode which seems to shift the gears very fast from 1st to 6th. I was going up a two lane onramp that merges into one. I noticed that an SUV in the other lane was trying real hard to pass me so I gave the car a good amount of gas but the delay in downshifting made it not worth it to try and catch up. Long story short, I let the SUV pass.

That is possibly the only thing I will dislike about the auto. I cannot stand that delay in downshifting. If DS mode did not eat up so much gas, I would be using that for daily driving, but that is not practicle.

The thing that I like about the manual is that I have control over my shifts. At the onramp, I would have probably still been in 3rd or 4th gear so I would have had plenty of power to just gun it past the SUV.

I will be test driving a 6MT 335i soon to see how I will like it. I am not completely sold on either transmission so we will see.
edit:
i disagree..no downshift delay for me. if you are in D, slap the paddle shifter to the left putting it into DS, while at the same time floor it - the auto will downshift immediately - as fast if not faster as any manual imho.
.. btw, screw the gas milage cause i am always in DS

Last edited by midlife; 07-08-2009 at 05:44 PM..
Appreciate 0