View Single Post
      09-01-2016, 04:56 PM   #37
bNks334
Major
Rep
Drives: '11 135i (N55)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
You guys are seriously over thinking this. Both oil and coolant can be used to shed thermal energy from the block. The obsession with big oil cooler because up until recently it was much easier to hook up some large oil coolers instead of a custom radiator.

That said, coolant is a more efficient medium for heat transfer (lower viscosity, faster heat transfer) than engine oil. One should consider upgrading the radiator first before touching the oil coolant. Plus, a more efficient coolant system will lower the load in the fragile water pump that we on this engine.

Turning on the heater will help, but only marginally. The air flow from the air con fan is no match for the air flow that the front radiator sees. Plus your heater core is tiny comparing to the radiator, which is already undersized for a modded N54.
Not sure why you would still recommend that upgrade path after reading the thread. People go into limp first because of oil temps. You can maintain a "normal" coolant operating temp all day on track yet engine oil temps will continue to climb and climb so long as you continue to maintain high revs.

By running the heater I was literally able to shed 30f from coolant temps yet oil temps really didn't drop one damn bit (unless I was just causing around). To add to that every single person who upgraded their radiator still ended up needing a bigger oil cooler to run on track without hitting oil limp. Based on that 30f drop I do agree that there is room to upgrade the stock rad. That in turn will keep injectors cooler and help produce more power (leading to even worse off oil tems only mitigated by the increased cooling capacity )

Last edited by bNks334; 09-01-2016 at 05:30 PM..
Appreciate 0