09-01-2016, 08:11 PM   #40
bNks334
Major
Rep
Drives: '11 135i (N55)

>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
People trigger limp mode because of coolant temp. Not oil, which doesn't trigger anything until you hit 300F. Read up on the literature on N54.

End of the discussion...
Never seen anyone hit coolant limp before their car began to reduce torque due to oil temps. Personally, my coolant temp never went above 110c on track even when oil touched 290f...

Also, I specifically mentioned n55 in my comments. If you read the pdf I posted the n55 has some serious modifications done to oil flow.

Not sure about n54 though... maybe coolant is more of an issue with that engine.

My entire argument was to stop the spread of misinformation from the people saying there is no reason to upgrade the oil cooler. They suggested you really need to upgrade your radiator. I then countered by proving that at WOT under full load engine coolant is not the primary cooling agent for keeping engine oil temps in check. I proved a massive reduction in coolant temps didnt really have any bearing on oil temps. N55 engine design supports the conclusion I came to that bmw is using engine oil as a cooling agent and the oil cooler is indeed the first bottleneck allowing oil temps to continue to creep up.

No one, not even a venor, has provided any contradicting data that actually supports a radiator upgrade can effectively manage oil temps on track.

I think the differeration in opinion actual stems ffrom all of us driving different cars. Like I said, the answer to the question is more complicated than yes or no. It all depends on what's under the hood and what your data logs show... n55 or n54? Auto or manual? External oil cooler or no?

Last edited by bNks334; 09-01-2016 at 08:29 PM..
Appreciate 0