09-01-2016, 11:44 PM   #41
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bNks334 View Post
I proved a massive reduction in coolant temps didnt really have any bearing on oil temps. N55 engine design supports the conclusion I came to that bmw is using engine oil as a cooling agent and the oil cooler is indeed the first bottleneck allowing oil temps to continue to creep up.No one, not even a venor, has provided any contradicting data that actually supports a radiator upgrade can effectively manage oil temps on track.
wow you really love your n55! Anyhow, still failed to provide explanation why bmw engineers optioned for additional coolant not oil radiator in the ppk and faster fan which includes your praised n55 as well which has this supposedly amazing features allowing supperior oil flow and oil cooling compared to n54 or n52. Perhaps because you are correct? Oil cooling was exellent thus no need for addtional oil cooler. Yes? If this is true then you conradict yourself advocaing that biger, better oil cooler is indeed needed for the n55. Is oxymoron no? I have already given you the chronology of "fixes" bmw offered. No oil cooler > oil cooler > oil cooler + additinal coolant radiator. Never engine to coolant heat exchanger on these chassis, e8x and e9x. I'm not saying that bmw in particular knew what they are doing but can tell you that pretty much all vendors sure did not. They wanted to sell and for a while they could only sell you oil radiator. Additionally, untill recently many linked reduced power at track solely due to high coolant-oil temperatures, most threads created had no data support, and how we know it could be also due to calculated high temperature in brake system with option be coded out. Coolant will always be primarily sourse of engine cooling even on engines that are stationary, like generators, and probably we won't ever see one without it. Oil cooler on the other hand, well you know...

Last edited by feuer; 09-01-2016 at 11:56 PM..
Appreciate 0