05-04-2019, 10:37 AM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berger96 View Post
New joiner here.

My last car was an AUDI TT MK2 2006 2.0 TFSI, stage one remap, 260 BHP. I'm going to look at a 2010 330D 2dr Coupe, M-sport, AUTO, full service history, 72000, private sale, apparently in very good condition. I've sort of fell in car love with the 330D so I'm pretty keen on making this my next car.

I've been doing a bit of digging and found this car does have two recalls "install positive battery terminal line repair cable and "checking and if necessary re-working plug connection for blower output stage". I have let the guy know and he has said he will get this sorted before I come and view it. I've found one other potential problem, the swirl flaps, apparently, over around 80000 miles the swirl flaps can break/come loose and drop into the engine, he has not had the swirl flaps removed but I plan on doing this if I was to buy the car.

I have a few questions, 1, is there any common issues or anything, in particular, I should look out for when viewing the car, anything i should steer clear of?

2, I generally do no more than 10-15 miles a day, usually town driving, with the occasional long trip. Will I get problems with the EGR and DPF or will it be ok?

3, if I may get potential issues with the PDF and or EGR, is it advisable to physically and electronically delete/remove the DPF and EGR, also removing the swirl flaps too?

4, What are the running costs like? I use an independent garage, not a dealer/BMW. Taking into account the economy, tyres, brakes, servicing, maintenance etc.

5, is £7500 a reasonable price?

Any advice is much appreciated, thank you.
Ok.

Well the swirl flaps were really a problem on the preLCI M47 and M57 engines. Your 2010 will have the N57 which has a much improved design. However not perfect. 80k miles is nothing for either engine.

Swirl flaps on the N57 won't just fall apart. You really need to inspect the manifold to see the carbon deposits. You'd likely only be able to do this after sale.

1. Both N47 and N57 experience timing chain problem. This is a major problem. You should have it checked.

Inspect the DPF and exhaust. Has the DPF been tampered with? It's an automatic MOT fail now.

2. You just need to keep an eye on the DPF Ash and Soot levels. Invest in a Carly or ProTool Diagnostic app on you phone.

However. I'd definitely say 10-15miles a day of town driving is NOT good for this engine. The M and N engine diesels like long runs. You'll fine the soot builds up very quickly with town driving in the DPF and you'll need to take it for a long run to regenerate it. If you don't keep an eye on the soot levels you'll run into trouble.

With that sort of mileage and use you'd benefit far more with a 330i or treat yourself to a 335i.

3. You could do the delete. But risk an MOT fail. Why not just go for the 335i?

4. I have a 330d and get 43mpg but I do 70miles a day mostly motorway / a road.

I service the car myself. At 80,000 miles stuff will need replacing. Shocks tend to get blown by 50k, Wheel bearing noise, thermostat, glow plugs and controller.

5. Depends on the spec. Not too bad. For that price I'd want xenon headlights, m sport trim, leather seats, idrive as a minimum...
Appreciate 0