05-12-2019, 08:49 AM   #17
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 325D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streek View Post
Cost sounds ok if it is in nice condition.

Don't get the DPF removed, it's illegal and will cause it to smoke and so fail the MOT.

Check the timing chain is quiet if it's the newer N57 engine.

Running cost are ok, local running should get between 30 to 45mpg depending if you start stop drive or cruise at a sensible speed. A good independent should be around £60 per hour so not too bad for servicing costs. I do oil changes myself, usually costs about £50 after buying oil and filter etc. Very easy to do.

Doing 10 to 15 miles a day might be fine, it depends on what sort of driving those mile's are. If that's just stop start driving, you're DPF might not thank you. If there are some 40 50 mph cruises mixed in you should be fine. The LCI N57 engines tend to be less troublesome with blocked dpf's so I understand.
Regarding the timing chain, is it the chain tensioner part that fails? If yes is it worth replacing it with a new tensioner part right away?

Also what is the best way to check the chain tensioner; start up from cold, very minor ticking is normal but loud ticking is not? Make sure there is no rattling when revving the engine especially on the down-revs? if you could let me know that would be appreciated
Appreciate 0