View Single Post
      01-14-2020, 11:12 AM   #651
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep
Drives: E61

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazi3azn View Post
So I’ve done a few e82 and f10 headlights with baking and heat gun.

For some reasons these e90 lci headlights keep cracking at the channels. Any tips? Not sure if it’s because these ones are almost 12 years old compared to the ones I’ve done. Never tried cutting but leaning towards it now.
Permasealed headlights all have their own personality, you can't make general "_____ headlights are easy, ____ headlights are hard" It's dynamic. In addition to there being different headlight manufacturers; there are different facilities for the same manufacturer, sealant revisions, and different batches of sealant. In general from what I have seen permaseal will become easier to remove the older it is since it usually degrades a bit overtime from heat cycles, maybe UV, etc. but so can the housings.

If you can't get the lens off with prying then it's best to cut it off close to the channel, remove the lens, and then you can cut out the sealant from the channel now that you have access from both sides, fully clear the channels, and finally buy some new OEM lenses from BMWJakes.

If you plan on cutting and reinstalling the lens then pony up and buy a high power ultrasonic cutter ($800+). If you plan on cutting and reinstalling with a dremel or multi-tool, don't, just don't. Do it right or don't do it.
Evan
- EOS Port Injection Manifold, Fuel-It: Stg 2 LPFP +Lines +Ethanol Sensor
- JB4, Hexon RR550s, Custom Inlet, AR DPs, 3" Exhaust, VRSF 7" IC, ER CP +Tial
Appreciate 0