View Single Post
      07-20-2021, 07:39 PM   #5
loetek
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

E92 Seat Belt Extender Arm

I was having a problem with my e92 driver side seat belt extender not staying extended long enough to grab the seat belt. The extender arm was not coming out far enough. It would come out a little bit and then immediately retract. After researching several posts, I thought it was the end piece (part #16) that grabs the seat belt that was broken so I bought a new one. In the process of trying to pull the arm out a little, I accidentally pulled the entire arm all the way out of the mechanism. I attached the new end piece into the extender arm, but I am not sure how to properly reinsert the extender arm now. I can hear it click as I push it back in. It extends but it doesn't go back flush when it retracts. The little flipper part (part # 16) works when I push it's button so I know the new part is good. Problem is it doesn't seat properly when it retracts. The little flapper arm that grabs the seat belt sticks outside and doesn't collapse into the mechanism. My question is how far do you push the extender arm into the mechanism? I have tried just a little, doesn't work, tried pushing it in a little more, still doesn't work. The extender arm will extend and retract OK, but it does not seat itself properly. The little flapper part with the seat belt notch doesn't collapse and go back into the mechanism properly. I know it is suppose to hit something and cause the little flapper arm to collapse but I can't figure out what it is suppose to hit on. Has anybody ever had the seat belt extender arm all the way out of the car? If so, what is the proper procedure for reinserting the whole extender arm (part #14) ? Thanks in advance. I hate to take it back to the dealer for this and pay through the nose.
Appreciate 0