03-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #51
fastloop
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnan View Post
I'm at about 1000miles and the judder is still quite bad and it is difficult to drive at the moment. I'm used to having a heavy clutch coming from the ACT Street that I had on there before. It's good to know that it should get better with a few more miles. I don't doubt that it will hold the power and I'm not a drag strip addict so I'm not so worried about welding it together. If I need a new clutch then I'm going for the Spec stage 3+ which was my initial choice.
So it's barely bedded in. I remember the first trip I took after it was fitted and I was like OMG - a tad on the heavy side and it took full concentration not to stall it or do a smooth start. Doing a quick getaway at a set of lights was tricky for the first 5-7K and it's only now that it's getting more controllable. I'm not too worried about welding it as I don't do any drag starts, but in hindsight it's maybe a bit much to expect the OEM DMF to take the abuse of 500BHP/700NM. Definitely something to think about if I go down the RB route.

Quote:
Good stuff, I'm going to do mine myself so I don't need fitting.

I'm hopefully going to get INPA working so will look into raising the idle speed if we all go down this route.
Have you got access to a lift as I would find doing this on axle stands a bit tricky. Man handling the gearbox is a two man job. Isn't the idle a map thing or can you do this in INPA? With COBB I would think that this shouldn't be too hard. I got a COBB sitting on my shelf ready to be fitted as soon as I have fitted my ER oil cooler and a few other bits.

Quote:
OEM clutches aren't that cheap and considering he has probably done less than 20k tuned it is unlikely that it will last that long. Considering the labour cost on top, it is best to do it right first time. I've learnt that the hard way I'm lucky that I can DIY but it is a ballache.
+1 clutch disc, pressure plate, DMF, release bearing etc. It all adds up making replacing an OEM clutch quite expensive. With labour at around £250 a go; do you risk not replacing one part and find that you need to drop the gearbox out again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil200tdi View Post
Not to mention someone to speak to with any issues...

For £250 I'd probably get them to fit mine..
Does the fitting price include the one time aluminium bolts and other bits?

£250 is in the ball park of what I paid in labour on the clutch? It might also be worth considering replacing the release bearing depending on mileage. It's pretty cheap and worth doing for peace of mind.

21 51 7 564 027 Release module ~ €52.50
23 00 0 417 164 Set of alu. screws manual gearbox €6.55
+ DP/Exhaust gaskets + exhaust bolts (so possible another £20-30)