01-26-2018, 01:24 PM   #5
arkie6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
My OBDLink reader and scanner is showing intermittent mis-fires on cylinder 1, 3, and 5. Mostly right after a warm restart when the stumbling is occurring. The car has new coils and nearly new spark plugs (all cleaned and inspected when new coils installed). The car runs good otherwise. Also, my fuel rail pressure is around 700 psi when the mis-fires occur and that is the pressure it normally maintains at idle and no load. I see it jump up around 2500 psi under moderate to heavy load. Are those fuel pressure values normal / expected?

My thinking is that it almost has to be the injectors leaking after shutdown. Starting a warm engine with too much fuel present will cause it to stumble and misfire. Overnight, the excess fuel in the cylinder either evaporates out of the intake or exhaust (whichever valves happen to be open) or the fuel leaks down past the piston rings as they cool and the end gap opens up.

I don't think my injectors are leaking to the point of flooding the cylinders yet. Hopefully I'm catching it soon enough to prevent any damage to the bottom end. My oil level stays pretty consistent dropping about a quart every 6,000 miles which is where I typically change it (I'm a bit over that right now as I want to get the injectors replaced before putting new oil in it). If the injectors were leaking significantly, I would expect to see the oil level rise or smell strong fuel smell at the oil filler cap which I do not smell with the engine running and the cap open.

My car has a build date of 11/2007 and the currently installed injectors are index -07. I bought the car with ~70,000 miles and do not have any history on it. Would these injectors be the originally installed injectors or have they been replaced sometime before I bought the car?

If it is not the injectors causing this stumble during warm restart, then what might it be? I'm still waiting on my OBD to USB cable.

Last edited by arkie6; 01-26-2018 at 01:32 PM..
Appreciate 0