rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Automatic Transmission Tuning ZF6HP19 First Generation

Well,

This has been a long time coming, I've been watching the Diesel crew and taking notes for more than a year and I am finally at the point where I have made enough progress to share.

Background, I have an N52 powered car (E85) with the ZF 6HP19 automatic transmission, first generation. So the Alpina flash or the new xHP tools will not help me.

I have upgraded the engine to a 3 Stage Manifold and with the help of others learned how to create my own software / tunes for the MSV70. During the process, my data logs have shown that the Automatic transmission was really letting me down, sort of an embarrassment to BMW.

In the early stages I learned how to get the DME to partially ignore the torque reduction request given during a gear shift. These can cut power by 35% + for nearly 3/4 of a second or longer. This helped but really did not solve the problems, clearly a transmission tune is needed.

More than a year ago, I started watching the diesel members create a thread called "Transmission Remap, let's do it ourselves". Fantastic effort from several members to log and learn how their transmissions worked. The project turned into Xhp Tuning and it looks like a really promising and well priced product for all second generation ZF 6 speed gearboxes. Unfortunately, the first generation 6 speeds have been left out and frankly from a commercial perspective, I can't blame them.

However, I did not come away empty handed. I've been watching, learning and gathering notes all this time. Sort of an electronic pack rat. Now thanks to the RSA private key contributions provided by Tarraphatm, I am able to produce my own transmission tune and sign it with the correct RSA signature, convert to an 0da calibration file and flash into the transmission using a standard D can cable and WinfKp. No Boot sector coding or backup nonsense, just a 3 minute flash. Very similar process as how I've been writing tunes for the DME.

My goals with this tune is the following:

1. Reduce the time spent under limited engine output, torque reduction
2. Increase Engine RPM limits to 7,100-7,200 RPM
3. Increase the firmness of the high loaded shifts
4. Activate the gear display in the Combi for all modes
5. Turn off full throttle gear kick-down when in the manual mode.

The project begins.
Appreciate 8
STR8-6IX536.00
tetsuo1111227.00
tsm00764.50
Phyrexia502.50
dindf0.00