View Single Post
      03-22-2017, 03:41 PM   #387
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaknown View Post
Some interesting info about this I wanted to pass on..... Although it seems universally agreed that the wastegate mod isn't necessary, I found out some information that disproves it actually does harm to the turbine housing. A while back Bob and I were discussing this and he stated they had a car w/ the mod come in that was losing power during the turbo switch. Turns out the wastegate was most likely cracking from the slight spike of pressure when the turbos transition and the increased surface area on the wg flapper from the mod. He said the turbine housing was replaced and that solved it.....

Well, I found out I had the same issue on my car. When the turbos switched I could see a spike and then a huge drop in boost. But I knew that there had to be a way to lower the spike by adjusting the transition of the turbo switchover. I hounded Jarek about this and he did similar testing on a car he had inhouse on the dyno. He adjusted the switchover characteristics and updated my tune and this solved my issue, the boost is now rock solid and much smoother during the switchover. So a software adjustment was all that was needed. Thought this might interest some of you.....
Iaknown, so you had Jarek change software some to reduce spike at transition. Are you still running the turbo housing that has the opened up WG port? I have open up WG port too and wondering if i'm suffering a little at transition.
Appreciate 0