United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 335d M Sport

Garage List
2003 Z4  [0.00]
2006 E90 335d m Sport  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I've come to the conclusion that many drivers believe they drive hard when they really drive quite briskly, perhaps accelerating hard and keeping up quite high average speeds. So different than using all the performance, most of the time. As I've said of myself, I drive briskly, use the full range of performance, BUT most of the time I'm cruising on a very light throttle due to conditions and speed limits.

Look at it logically, you accelerate hard down the slip road (big grin or smile) and then join the flow and cruise. Feels good, but it isn't hard driving, and if you cruise a few miles the mpg average will soon look pretty respectable.

Another factor often overlooked is the amount of braking. The guys who wear out pads in 25k miles are using a lot of energy (fuel), a massive excess compared to the guys who drive/accelerate just as fast and hard, but cruise for miles without needing to brake, and get 60 - 70k miles from a set of pads. It is factors like the above that also swing the mpg figures.

Also remember some choose a car like the 335d not to drive it on the limits all the time, just enjoy the total package and the performance when they need it, such as in safe overtaking moves and the feel of the engine.

I didn't 'need' a 540i with a 4.4-litre V8 engine, but what a car to drive, even pottering around. It was the refinement, the instant pickup, the whole feel of the car, whether accelerating hard or cruising at sensible speeds.

HighlandPete
I agree, to be honest I dont cane the living sh1t out of mine all of the time, mainly because I would be either dead or in prison but that goes for any car. I had a Mini One Diesel as a loaner last week and could easily have ended up rolling a 7 if I'd driven like a pratt the whole time.

Although in the main I drive ok ish (My wife would disagree) I don't get above 27.5mpg but its not an issue. If it was, I wouldnt have bought a car that could cost me the wrong side of £1000 for a repair or more than that for a set of tyres.
Appreciate 0