View Single Post
      02-03-2019, 10:43 AM   #1
NumericalIntegration
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Changed MT fluid to Redline D4, now can smell D4 when driving?

Hello all, as the title states, I changed my MT fluid to Redline D4 ATF since I've seen it recommended, and it's a bit thinner than MTL and a bit thicker than D6. Since then, when I hit it with WOT at med-high RPMs I can smell the D4 I just put in inside the car (06 325i, Gertrag GS6-17BG). I crawled under the car to check for leaks and checked the plugs. The fill and drain plugs have no leaks. The output shaft seal seems pretty dry. The selector shaft seal however has some fluid gathered near it (see attached picture). I thought I found my issue but when I got that fluid on my finger and smelled it it definitely didn't smell like ATF, it just smelled like some regular oil. The only thing I can think of is that it was either the original BMW fluid or the MTL I had in there before. So it's probably something I should replace but it doesn't seem to be where the D4 is coming from.

Today I was looking on RealOEM and I saw a ventilation valve on top of the transmission, what is this ventilation valve? Is it possible I overfilled the D4 and this valve is ventilating vapors from inside the overfilled transmission when under high load? Any input would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0