View Single Post
      10-11-2018, 11:34 PM   #1
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Convertible 2007 335

Replaced 24 lifters, engine still has LOUD tap.

I have a E93 335i with about 75,000 miles that I bought from an auction so I have no history on the car. The engine taps and I assumed it was a lifter. I just finished replacing all 24 lifters, the spark plugs and checking/cleaning everything in the head area including making the VANOS gears and solenoids spotless. The engine seems to run OK and has decent power but I have nothing to compare it to. Could a bad timing chain tensioner make a constant loud tap? I am starting to think rod bearing since I am out of ideas. I found a stringy piece of old rubber at the top left side of the timing chain guide. It is likely an old serpentine belt that got sucked in at one time. I reused my belt tensioner when I did the lifters but maybe it is bad and is causing the noise? That seems to good to be true. If it is not that then I can only imagine lower engine like rod bearings? I am at the point where I am not sure if I should try a chain tensioner or just start parting this thing out before I waste more and more money. P.S. My tensioner has a metal gasket so maybe it was replaced already once?

I spent $2,650 on the car, then almost $5,000 more on a water pump, full body kit, M3 fenders, fiberglass hood, xenon headlights, etc. I just found some hidden frame damage in the rear so if the engine needs more work I am probably just parting this car out and losing a few 1,000 when all is said and done.

Sorry for the rant, this money pit has depressed me. If anyone can think of what would be causing a constant tap please let me know. It taps with the RPM's and at idle it is there but when you rev to 1,500 rpm or above it really sounds loud.
Appreciate 0