View Single Post
      07-25-2018, 09:14 PM   #6
ElevenEleven
Rep
Drives: 2009 328xi

Thanks for the info Upshift_Downshift, I saw that too. I decided that the bearings stay put well enough, and I didn't need to glue them in. And the chamfer statement is also right.

I got in touch with Schaeffler Ltd., who own F A G, and a technical adviser wrote back that the end with the smaller diameter/black stripe/chamfer is supposed to be pressed in first, which makes good sense.

I was worried about messing up the ABS wheel speed sensing by installing a bearing that doesn't hold a paper clip. He said,
"Yes there is an encoder in this bearing, but not the conventional magnetic type."

Then I noticed that there is a reluctor ring (or tone ring) under my ABS sensor on this 328i. Why would I also need an encoder in the bearing? Here's what it looks like: http://www.apecbraking.co.uk/Resourc...S-Sensors.aspx

The adviser wrote that this bearing does have an encoder in it, even though this 328i doesn't use it, because this bearing is used in many different applications, some needing the encoder.

It all eventually made sense.

I had the bearing pressed in yesterday, and it works fine, unfortunately it had no effect on the womp womp noise I'm trying to get rid of. Tires are next.
Appreciate 1