View Single Post
      06-04-2020, 08:48 AM   #13
PR1MOWAGEN
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i Touring

The other day I started working on the rear hatch. Wagons get so much turbulent dust, dirt, and debris on the rear hatches, and they end up getting scratched if the paint hasn't been protected. Sedans don't suffer this problem, as much.

I am really excited to share this new 1" backing plate attachment I got from Kevin Brown at www.BuffDaddy.com. I highly recommend visiting his site and supporting him. This tool is ideal for the narrow panels, such as the strip that runs just below the rear window; it's a little over 1" wide. Using it on a random orbital DA polisher gave it the perfect coverage across the entire width. The one on the right is for a DA polisher, the one on the left is for a standard drill.

Along with the 1" plate I also got multiple 1" pads, including a flat MF disc for greater precision. The disc doesn't have any foam between the plate and the face, therefore more pressure is applied to the surface of the paint. This means a quicker cut, which also means you need to pay attention to your speed. If you read my first post, speed is a critical factor in cutting and polishing paint. As you move down in pad size, you reduce your surface area, so while your speed setting on your machine may not change, the RPM of your disc will. I ended up spreading the liquid on Speed 1 and cutting the imperfections on Speed 3.

Anyway, the narrow section is extremely flat, so the tool was able to glide over the surface and do its work. I didn't use any extra pressure; just the weight of the machine. I followed this with a 1" foam polishing pad to remove any haze a MF pad typically leaves. I meant to take a picture of the haze versus the polished area, but I neglected to do so (I was in the moment). Here are some before and after shots; you'll still see some minor scratches left behind that I didn't want to correct any further, bc they were just a touch too deep.

Tools used:

Griot's G8 mini random orbital
Meg's 3" MF cutting pad
Meg's 3" MF finishing pad
Rupes 2" yellow foam polishing pad
BuffDaddy 1" MF disc
BuffDaddy 1" yellow foam polishing pad
Meg's M110 compound (only a few spots required this)
Meg's M205 polish
Meg's Ultimate full synthetic liquid wax

Last edited by PR1MOWAGEN; 06-04-2020 at 09:07 AM..
Appreciate 0