View Single Post
      04-05-2019, 01:42 PM   #181
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep
Drives: TiAg e91, r53 Cooper S, e28 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbwsr View Post
If towing is a goal then I agree the E61 won't be ideal. I would suggest the E70 xDrive35d. This is the next vehicle I will be acquiring after I sell my E39 Touring, it will be the road trip, towing, comfortable workhorse. The M54 diesel engine is a peach striking a great balance of efficiency and performance. As a bonus most of the reliability issues are tied to all the emissions systems which heat, cool, recirculate exhaust and deleting them not only boosts efficiency and performance but also reliability. "Deleted" M57 motors with a tune will be putting down ~300whp and 500wtq and can fetch 30mpg. The E70s are also good for towing 7,000 lbs I believe.

If you want a more N54-ish motor you can always get the xDrive35i which has the N55 motor but I love the idea of the torqy M54 to hustle the heavy E70 around.
First off Evan great builds, been following your builds for a couple years now. Sorry to resurrect this, but...

I too have been thinking about an m57 e70 but wrote them off due to the alphabet soup emissions problems and being in CA.

Are you saying that deleting the emissions systems, and then coding the errors out will result in a CA Smog pass? What about the visual inspection?
Appreciate 0