View Single Post
      04-26-2019, 05:31 PM   #1
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe/E90 335i

Is it worth committing to a N55 E90 as a track car?

Hey guys,

After 3.5 years of daily-driving my M coupe around 15-20k miles a year, I started to desire something a bit more comfortable for my commute. Long story short, 2 years ago I ended up buying my *ideal* 335i, a 2011 E90 with M-sport, manual, no nav, H/K, and white on black with silver cube trim. I bought it with the intention to learn more about turbo cars and to have a fun, yet more comfortable daily than the M coupe. Over those 2 years I have learned quite a lot about this platform, and I have spent quite a bit of money keeping it running (including a whole new motor). Recently, I ended up landing a job that allows me to work from home, so I don't necessarily need a "comfortable" car anymore. I had the intention of jumping headfirst into HPDE's starting this season, but I am currently split with what direction I should go. Considering how much money I have spent into the E90 already, part of me thinks it would make sense to just throw a bit more into it to prep for track stuff, but part of me also thinks that it just isn't going to be a reliable and worth-while track platform.

The question now is, should I keep the E90 and dump even more money into it for track use? Or should I cut my losses and start fresh with a far more competent platform (another Z4M coupe, E92 M3, E46 M3, 987 Cayman S)?

As of right now, considering the problems I have had with it as a typical street car, I am leaning towards ditching it. However, I would like to hear the opinions of those who actually have some HPDE's logged on their N55 E9X's.

Also, would be very interested to hear what others would think I would need to prep for the car's first track day.

As it sits, the car currently has 96k miles on the chassis and 10k miles on the factory-fresh, dealer installed N55. Here is the current mod list:

BMW Performance short shift kit W/ ZHP knob
BMW F10 550i clutch and pressure plate
BMW Performance exhaust
BMS Clutch delay valve
BMS intake
MHD Stage 2+
VRSF cat-less downpipe
VRSF 7" front mount intercooler
VRSF aluminum charge pipe
Stoptech cross drilled rotors front (oem pads)
M3 mono ball upper and lower control arms
ST coilovers
Dinan Stage 3 alignment
Apex Arc-8 18x9 et30 front with 235/40/18 and 18x9.5 et35 rear with 265/35/18
Michelin PS4S tires

Here is my current list for track-prep mods that I'm thinking I would need:

New/better suited rotors front and rear
Track focused brake pads
stainless brake lines
uprated fluids (brake, trans, diff)
front swaybar
rear subframe bushings
camber plates (Not 100% on this as I already have -1.8 degrees in the front without them)
Limited slip-diff+rear swaybar (this would be a long-term upgrade)
More cooling? (car is equipped with sport external oil cooler)

Opinions please! Thanks ya'll!
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 1