View Single Post
      12-29-2013, 07:53 AM   #59
E902F30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Black/Black Sport

Well.....I just finished this so I thought I would throw in my observations:
1. Thanks for the excellent DIY. I would not even have attempted to do this without the write-up.
2. My car is a 2008 335i with 115K miles on the clock. All of the plastic under the hood is very brittle. I broke several fitting even being very careful. Be prepared! I broke the PCV hose on the back of the manifold (replaced it with some reinforced rubber hose from the parts store. Had to cut the plastic hose off to make it work). I also broke the fitting where the two small vac. lines attach. I ended up repairing this one, cutting off the rubber lines with the cloth covers and replacing the lines with rubber hose from the parts store (5/32" vac. line). I also broke several clips (replaced those with zip ties).
3. My 10mm deep well socket would not go over the ground posts due to an inside "shoulder" in the socket. I put the socket on the drill press and opened it up slightly and then it worked fine.
4. Most of my leak appeared to be coming from the oil filter housing and the oil cooler adaptor. I replaced both of those gaskets while I was doing the valve cover.
5. I found it much easier to insert the spark plug guides after putting the valve cover back on.
6. My car purged the cooling system all by itself????? I did not have to hold the pedal down, it just started up on its own????
7. If you drain the cooling system by pulling that lower hose on the aluminum cooler like I did, you might see if the O-ring is available. Mine was dripping when I finished but seems to have sealed itself for now. You might have to get the entire hose so.......
8. It probably took at least 12 hours but that includes the oil filter mount and the oil cooler adaptor (get the two O-rings if you are taking the oil lines off). That also included repairing the things I broke.
9. I replaced the bolts but I can't see why that's necessary with such low torque.
10. When I started my car I got all kinds of errors about the brakes and traction control. The engine started but the throttle would not work and the engine revved up and down on its own. Turns out I left the clip off what I assume is the cam position sensor (right on the front of the head near the oil filter mount). Plugged it back in and all was well.
11. Saved $1500+ by doing this myself. It was a pain but it was well worth it in the end.
Appreciate 2