footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Where are you getting M6 Competition Lap Times??
The times come from the recent Driver Republic comparison test of the M6 Competition vs R8 and 997TT. The Porsche being the quickest with the R8 v8 only being a couple of tenths behind the M6 and this was only due to the fact it wasn't using the ultra sticky rubber of the M6. If that had been the case then the R8 would have easily be quicker and probably as quick as the 997TT.

Quote:
A delimited M6 will go sub 8 minutes at the ring.
No one including myself could dispute that fact but while it WILL be probably quicker than the less power R8 on the ring there is upwards on hundred tracks where is won't be that quick. Point being is it's a point and squirt motor and not a true track car, in fact a Competition version of the M3 would be far more successful.

Quote:
The M6 is a GT, not a sportscar.... Hella fast for a GT.
You are 100% correct here, it's a GT of sorts. So why throw time, effort and money at a car that clearly will never be anything more than a very quick car but flawed for anything remotely to do with track work which is what BMW are suggesting with this package.

Quote:
If BMW wanted to build a supercar, is there any doubt they could?? Audi needed to steal from Lambo to build the R8, they even copied the propensity to catch fire.
I am in complete agreement that BMW are more than capable of building a supercar and I have said as much, whether they have to will or financial backing to go ahead in such a troubled time is very doubtful.

As for you comments on Audi building the R8 on the back of Lamborghini's expertise............ come on TB, even you know that state is laughable.

Quote:
And BTW, the M6 weighs 3900 pounds which is not much heavier than an M3....
Considering their respective wheelbases are only 20mm different the bulk of the shape and size on each are very similar and should be similar in weight. I would say that their respective bare shells would be within a few kilos of each other and almost all of the weight difference will centre on the engine, drivetrain and suspension.

P.S.
To whom it may concern, no I am not a hater but I am a realist and the fact is that the M3 and possibly the M5 are the only two great M cars currently in production. M6 doesn't really compete against anything else, it's too extreme to rival other GT cars and it's a flawed package to be compared against true sportscars like the R8 and 997, the Z4M is another flawed package, great on the track where it's stiff suspension and direct steering really works well but off the track it's too hard and bouncy to rival the likes of Cayman.

BMW like the others (Audi and Mercedes) are more interested in sales to really concern themselves with producing a truly complete package all of the time. Only the M3 really gets close to this and it's complete domination of it's sector is proof that when they put their minds to it they are unstoppable.
Appreciate 0