06-15-2009, 07:19 AM   #133
Bandarof
Impossible is Nothing
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 08' white/red 335i

Garage List
2008 e92 335i  [0.00]
I wasn't originally thinking about replacing my CCC with a CIC until I read your post.

But here is the thing, my car is from North America, and I read somewhere that these cars have the same TCU as Canadian cars, Canadian cars already have this function of google maps and so fourth. And I read somewhere also that the NA TCU's are all capable of connecting because they contain an AT&T sim chip which does the calling to BMW Assist when you press the SOS button, the TCU's with AT&T Sim chip isn't programmed to connect to the internet, possibly because the contract between BMW and AT&T doesn't include internet connectivity.

On the other hand...Out here in the UAE they already have the service, but as far as I can tell, the TCU in the car connects to the internet through the bluetooth connection to your mobile phone, and your internet usage in the car will appear on your mobile phone bill, I'm still double checking that to make sure.

Originally I was thinking about just changing the sim chip in my TCU, or replacing my TCU with a local one from UAE, and loading iDrive version 4.0 on my existing CCC.

Are you with me??

08' 335i WHT/RED MT6
01' 323Ci TPZ BLU/GRY MT6
88' 750iL BLU/GRY
85' 745i Carbonite/Buffalo Turbo Injectors
Appreciate 0