View Single Post
      11-12-2018, 10:25 AM   #27
nissubaru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i MSport + 1990 300ZX TT

Still trying to find a good motor, it's honestly a total crapshoot. Unless you guys have somewhere you suggest looking I'm all out of options. Basically I've been using LKQ, car-part.com and Ebay. None of the places seem to give a shit about doing compression tests or leakdown tests. They run the car before dismantling it and that's pretty much it. Obviously I'd like to be 100% certain but what can I do? I'm thinking buy a motor and perform a leakdown myself as soon as it arrives. If it doesn't check out, return the damn thing. Although I'll be annoyed if I have to pay for the shipping both ways.

Anyways, what all do I need to buy if I'm going to have the transmission off? New transmission bolts all around, some bolts for the flywheel and pressure plate..but what about a clutch pilot bearing or clutch alignment tool? I have a Spec Stage 2 clutch with steel flywheel already installed

Also plan to order new oil pan gasket + bolts all around. Maybe valve cover gasket, we'll see. OFHG too just cause it's cheap and easy. Will be swapping over old injectors. If I do end up swapping over the turbos I'll get the install kit from Vargas.

Fluids too of course. Idk I'm either blanking out hard or there aren't too many things I need to buy besides the motor. Already picked up a 1 ton engine crane from Harbor Freight and a 750lb stand.

While I'm at it...anyone have tips for dropping the manual transmission they'd like to share? What combination of extensions did you have to use to get to the bolts. I have a couple 10" extensions, a 6" one, a few 3" extensions etc...probably gonna need more? Wobble joint? Any universal joints?

Would a ratcheting e-torx wrench help at all or will I be able to set a socket on everything? What about flex head or swivel/flex head ratchets? I've got all the standard tools and then some but if there's something that would make this all go a hell of a lot easier then I'd love to know.
Appreciate 0