View Single Post
      11-14-2018, 11:15 AM   #39
nissubaru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i MSport + 1990 300ZX TT

Just for verification, the only difference between an AWD N54 and the RWD N54 is the oil pan? I can just put mine on an xdrive engine and it will be good to go? I'm trying to open up my search as much as possible, car-part.com separates RWD and AWD motors in the listings.

What about a 135i or a 535i? Just use my oil pan?

Edit: Kind of have a lead on two yards with decent options around my way. Both off a 5 series. The one place sounds pretty legit, although no compression test or leakdown numbers because the guy pulls the oil pan and inspects the bearings. He said compression test and leakdown tests only tell you so much, knowing the condition of the bearings is most important. However, the problem with this is that he doesn't think they have a 6 bolt engine, only 8 bolt. The guy was great to talk with but as the clock started to get closer to 5pm he started getting short with me so now I'm "85% sure" he doesn't have a 6 bolt engine. He said he would include the proper flywheel, although my problem with this is I have an upgraded steel flywheel. Personally, I didn't pay for it as the previous owner installed it...but I'd hate to go back to a used OEM flywheel when mine is already upgraded and somewhat new.

The other place I spoke with has a 6 bolt with like 45k miles, includes turbos, they supposedly run the car for 45 minutes, but no leakdown/compression numbers. I did ask them if they could do the tests and they said yes, I should have the results on Friday. These guys are only about an hour away. I'd love to go with the guy who checks the bearings but if everything checks out on the 6 bolt motor I'll probably pick it up & do my own bearing check after picking the motor up.

Seeing as how these are from a 5 series, I'm assuming the wiring harness will need to be swapped over from my engine?

Last edited by nissubaru; 11-14-2018 at 04:23 PM..
Appreciate 0