View Single Post
      12-10-2018, 03:58 PM   #41
nissubaru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i MSport + 1990 300ZX TT

Just an update if anyone cares. It took me a few weeks to find what I would consider a good enough motor for me to install in my car, it's from LKQ and comes with a 6 month parts warranty. 86k miles on the motor so very similar to mine, out of a 5 series that was hit in the side rear. Should be delivered next Monday 12/17.

I did end up deciding to do the job myself. I've bought too many tools and done too much work on my cars to pussy out now. If I was rebuilding the motor I'd probably be in over my head but swapping out the motor is just a bunch of nuts and bolts.

I'm doing the swap over at my parents house where they have a 2.5 car garage with plenty of space. So far I put in ~4 hours (I'm slow as hell & I take lots of breaks) and have the car pretty well torn apart. All the fluids are drained, coolant hoses are disconnected, radiator is out, intercooler is out, exhaust is dropped, heatshield off, drive belt off, intake manifold + charge pipe are off.

I called it quits at this point because I didn't have the motor yet. I also forgot to relieve the fuel pressure before disassembling everything so rather than trying to disconnect the HPFP I figured I'll come back to it after a week and hope the pressure has subsided.

I decided to pull the front bumper even though I was trying to keep it on. I'll be leaving the manual transmission in place so I might as well pull the bumper to make it easier on myself. This part should be pretty quick but basically I'll pull the front clip + AC condenser next time, then do the HPFP and starter, wiring harness, followed by the transmission bellhousing bolts, and then I think the only thing left is the ground cable + motor mount bolts. Then it should be ready to pull out.

I know I probably haven't gotten to the "hard" part yet but so far it seems pretty easy. I think I'll be able to pull it off in ~20 hours which would be pretty awesome. By that I mean have the old engine out, accessories swapped over, and the new motor in with various gaskets replaced (VCG, OPG, OFHG) as well.
Appreciate 2
feuer4275.50